Remember when BlackBerry announced it would be bringing some new important changes to BBM not so long ago? Well they’re here. BlackBerry has pushed an update for BBM on Android, iOS and BB10 that adds a couple of new security features.
First up, the update adds a new feature called Timed Messages. These are similar to those sent on Snapchat, just that the sender can choose how long the message can remain on the recipient’s phone. Simply tapping on the message before sending it can make it a timed message. Users will also be notified if the recipient of the message tries to take a screenshot of such a message. Such messages can be particularly useful if you’re sharing your credit card details with someone for a one time purchase.
Then, the update adds Message Retraction to the app. As the name implies, this feature can be used to recall a sent message. Messages that can be recalled must be in a one-on-one conversation and should not contain any images. However, both the features will be available for free only for a period of three months, after which they will be a part of a paid bundle.
Besides these two changes, BBM now allows you to share HD photos through the messenger, as well as see what your BBM friends are listening to in the BBM feeds. The updates are live on Android, iOS and BB10. BBM beta got updated on Windows Phone just a couple of days back, but the update did not introduce these new features.
Changelog for BBM 2.5:
- Timed Messages: Set how long contacts have access to messages and pictures shared in a chat
- Message Retraction: ‘Retract’ a message to remove it from your BBM chat*
- A quicker sticker picker: Adding stickers to your BBM chats is now even quicker with a new picker
- HD Picture Transfer: It’s easier than ever to get a high quality version of the pictures you receive in BBM
- Discover Music: See what music your contacts are listening to in BBM Feeds.